[TriLUG] DNS Joke

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Thu Oct 26 17:45:30 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 10:52:30AM -0700, Aaron S. Joyner wrote:

> Rather than a joke it's just an unfortunate state of affairs.  It's bad
> for anyone on the internet proper who tries to send them email, because
> it'll get stuck in their mail queue for as long as 5 days before giving
> up, and it's bad for them because they may not even realize it (after
> all, internal email works, right?).  On the flip side, they may not
> intend to have that information published on the internet.  Ie. that
> they probably have a not-so-well-configured server at an internal
> address 10.0.0.2, which if their dns setup is any indication, you might
> be able to slide through their NAT firewall and get access to
> surreptitiously.

Thank you, Aaron.

Once again Aaron has helped increase our knowledge.  I was under the
mistaken impression that current network hardware would not pass any
RFC-1918 addresses, and therefore, commenting on an apparently
bone-headed DNS entry that I had found in my mail logs was not actually
a BAD thing.

Sorry,
Brian