[TriLUG] streaming audio

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 22:23:30 EST 2006

On 10/29/06, Cristobal Palmer <cristobalpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy folks,
>
> I'm setting myself up a fileserver and slurping all my music onto it.
> I'd like to stream that audio (obviously I'd restrict the stream to my
> /24 to avoid lawsuits) so that I can tune into
> http://my.domain/some.tla with any computer in the house.
>
> What are people using to get this job done? ices2/icecast? Is that overkill?
>
> I'm interested in hearing a reply from people who have firsthand
> experience in setting up such a system OR have set up something
> different that you think would better suit my needs. I'm _very_
> interested if what you describe exists as a debian or ubuntu package
> and can be set up in << 20min.

I haven't set it up in a while, but I've used mod_mp3[1] in the past and
it worked very well.

I've also run daapd[2] to feed music via DAAP[3]. Add in a multicast
DNS[4] server and you can serve music automatically to Amarok[5][6]
and other music programs[7][8][9]. DAAP can work over the net, but
by default, multicast DNS only announces itself on a local network, so that
would solve the problem of keeping it local.  I would highly recommend
going that route if you can.

Cheers,
Tanner

[1] http://freshmeat.net/projects/mod_mp3/