[TriLUG] ntp.pool servers dropping out

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Nov 1 13:21:50 EST 2006

I get my ntp from ntp.pool, where I sync against 3 randomly
chosen ntp servers. I had expected that once I'd started
ntpd that I would keep syching against the same servers till
I rebooted the machine, but I find that servers disappear
one at a time (I guess maybe loose one every month or two,
and ntpq shows that I haven't contacted that server for
10days or so). Eventually I have to restart ntpd and get a
fresh batch of ntp servers.

Is this normal?

Thanks Joe