[TriLUG] Re: ntp.pool servers dropping out

Lance A. Brown lance at bearcircle.net
Wed Nov 1 13:49:32 EST 2006

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> I get my ntp from ntp.pool, where I sync against 3 randomly chosen ntp
> servers. I had expected that once I'd started ntpd that I would keep
> syching against the same servers till I rebooted the machine, but I find
> that servers disappear one at a time (I guess maybe loose one every
> month or two, and ntpq shows that I haven't contacted that server for
> 10days or so). Eventually I have to restart ntpd and get a fresh batch
> of ntp servers.
>
> Is this normal?

Since pool.ntp.org is a volunteer effort, it make sense to me that
servers would come and go.  One would hope the churn isn't very fast,
and 1 server/month seems like a reasonable rate.

OlsenE's periodic ntp restart seems like a good way to handle it for
servers that aren't rebooted regularly.

--[Lance]

--
 Celebrate The Circle   http://www.celebratethecircle.org/