[TriLUG] Determining distro via script

Shawn Hood shawnlhood at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 14:03:35 EST 2006

List,

I am writing a shell script that performs different tasks based on the
distribution, distro version, and architecture of the machine.  I was
wondering if anybody had any surefire ways to perform this function.
I know you could do this by parsing the default /etc/issue, a
combination of uname parameters, etc.  Red Hat has
/etc/redhat-release, etc.  There are a number of things that you could
derive distribution information from.  I'm just looking for the most
common, easiest-to-use indicators.  SLES9/10 and RHEL3/4 are most
important.

--
Shawn Hood
(910) 670-1819 Mobile