[TriLUG] Cluster Suggestions / Comparisons

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Nov 6 12:10:14 EST 2006

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Brian Bell wrote:

> I do not need an HPC cluster.  We're talking Apache
> here - not physics calculations.

disclaimer: I'm the LVS-HOWTO maintainer and have been with
the LVS project since 1999. LVS is designed to handle
failover and high throughput of services like http.

> So - my questions are thus:
> - Does anyone have any strong opinions on a particular HA system/project ?
> - Can anyone compare OpenSSI v. Ultramonkey

UtraMonkey is an HA wrapper around LVS. It comes with all
the files for LVS and is a popular way to set up an LVS.
There are other ways of handling failover for LVS: eg mon
and vrrp. The UltraMonkey author is busy and is hard to get
ahold of. However the LVS mailing list is full of people
who've set it up if you need help.

Usually we hear of other technologies of interest to LVS
users on the mailing list. Noone has ever talked about
OpenSSI or OpenQRM on the LVS mailing list.

> - Has anyone used commercial cluster service providers such as the Scyld
> platform at Penguin Computing?

Scyld is HPC

Joe