[TriLUG] Question about wiring a new home with Cat6/e

Jim Wright wrightjim at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 09:21:16 EST 2006

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil wrote:

>   - About how much would I need for the home? Ideally, I'd like to have a
> jack in each room (bedroom / office / living / kitchen -- for a total of 8
> rooms)

When I built a house a few years back, I had 3 runs of Cat5 put in to
each room.  One was terminated with RJ11 for phone, and the other two
were RJ45...it was nice having the flexibility of those three lines
coming in to each room...I miss it now that I have moved into an
existing house that had no decent wiring of any kind put in.  I would
check to see if whoever your contractor uses for phone does data as
well...back when I built my house, those guys generally didn't have a
clue...but I think most do now.  I got one of the network guys from RTI
who does stuff on the side to come in right before the sheetrock went
up.  At the time, I think it only cost my a few hundred dollars,
including materials.