[TriLUG] to delete root, or not too?

Chris Bullock cgbullock at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 13 17:57:54 EST 2006

I believe this is not "common practice" in the Linux/Unix workplace.
Where your TA may be coming from is that in a Microsoft Windows world it
is common practice to delete or more appropriately, rename the
Administrator account. The general consensus is that if you know a
username you know half of the login credentials, if you ever have a
firewall, just look at the logs and see how many attempts you have for
user root to try to log in on a daily basis.
cgb