[TriLUG] to delete root, or not too?

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Nov 14 09:41:07 EST 2006

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Alan Porter wrote:

> Otherwise, it depends on reading the running user's
> preferred shell (in most cases, from the current value of
> the $SHELL variable).

(just a warning).

$SHELL gives (in the case of tcsh/csh/bash) the shell you
opened the session with, not your current shell. This is a
real pain - I would have hoped that I'd get my current
shell. I have to run csh scripts at work and I'm always
invoking csh, editing and running scripts and then later
exiting. It's not easy to see which shell I'm in. At the
command prompt, I run setenv to see if it fails.

Joe