[TriLUG] Notebook pad type mice

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 14 15:17:37 EST 2006

Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just got a Compaq V6133CL notebook computer. It's got its good and bad
> points, but I needed it fast and Costco will refund my money if it doesn't
> work with Linux (it appears to, although shakily).
>
> Anyway, this particular notebook computer was designed by a dummy who located
> the pad type mouse to the right of the center of the keyboard, such that in
> normal touch typing my right hand contacts the pad, moves the mouse, and
> often does a click via "tapping".
>
> I'd like to configure this mouse such that:
>
> 1) "Tapping" is disabled. It's just not worth it.

Hello Steve,

It looks like there's an option for the Synaptics Touchpad in xorg.conf
that turns off tap-to-click, called MaxTapTime:

> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
> Driver "synaptics"
> Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
> Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
> Option "MaxTapTime" "0"
> EndSection

I saw this here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=76585

This might also be useful:
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/03/24/disable-synaptics-touchpad/

I didn't see anything specific to sensitivity though.  If you find it,
I'd be interested.

--
Scott C.