[TriLUG] Samba PDF Printing - bringing together past threads with a Solution!

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 15:48:02 EST 2006

Alright!!  Yeah!!  I have some great news!!  I can officially put the
Samba PDF thing to rest, at least for me.  Now (in my W2K3 AD
environment) I have the ability to setup a Linux based Samba PDF
printer which will output the PDF to the users home folder that is on
a w2k3 file server.  AND - the user can now install the printer even
with regular local user rights on his/her Windows XP Pro workstation.
I know some of you are way geekier than myself and have possibly
already done this, however, neither of these threads below were
concluded by anyone with final results.  SO, with a bit of spare time
and the necessity to get this working this way and documented, here's
what I have done to make it work.

These are the previous threads left with a few questions still
unanswerd... which begun with these messages (and I've listed the open
ended question if there was one):

1.  http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20060227/040818.html
Q:  How to get a FREE PDF printer using Samba?
A:  A working PDF printer, see Samba_PDF_printing.txt linked below

2.  http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20060320/041306.html
Q:  How do I easily deliver the printer drivers to regular local users
on the Windows XP workstations without having to be a local admin to
install the drivers?  "Shouldn't this work just like a shared windows
printer?"