[TriLUG] edgy ate my nic

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Wed Nov 15 09:58:43 EST 2006

I attempted to toast-and-load a debian box with Ubuntu 6.10, and the
nic disappeared - ifconfig only seems to know about lo and complains
about SIOCCS flags - network hardware failure or some such, and my
goodle-fu isn't helping. I vaguely recollect this boiling down to a
kernel module that's not loaded, but tracking down exactly what nic
hardware is there and what module to load is proving to be beyond me
this time.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to find what the nic is, and
more importantly which driver to use? It's an astonishingly humble
white-box machine with onboard-just-about-everything. I want to say
8639too sounds familiar... Assuming the hardware's all ok, is it easiest
just to try modprobe'ing everything I can find until something works?

Should I be concerned that lspci doesn't report anything? That seems a
tad odd. As an aside, there's some funk happening with the power -
not sure if it's the power supply or button, but no smoky smell and a
pretty clean motherboard - if something got fried, I assume I'd know it?

Thanks in advance
- Mark