[TriLUG] edgy ate my nic

Mark Kempster mark at kempster.org
Wed Nov 15 10:20:44 EST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, John Mitchell wrote:

> On 11/15/06, Mark Kempster <mark at kempster.org> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Can anybody point me in the right direction to find what the nic is, and
> > more importantly which driver to use? It's an astonishingly humble
> > white-box machine with onboard-just-about-everything. I want to say
> > 8639too sounds familiar... Assuming the hardware's all ok, is it easiest
> > just to try modprobe'ing everything I can find until something works?
>
> Mark,
>    You might want to try one of the small LiveCD distros to see what
> hardware they detect.
>
> http://www.inside-security.de/insert_en.html
>
> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
>
> are two of them. Their small size means they boot very quickly.
>    Did you try the Ubuntu 6.10 in Live CD mode? Did the nic work OK

I suppose putting the CD back in the system and trying it out _after_
the install completed doesn't count? But no, the liveCD doesn't detect
it either. I made the mistake of thinking that since ubuntu had played
extremely well with my other hardware that it would 'just work' on this
combination. Woopsie.

I'll attempt one of these other liveCDs in the meantime - thanks for the
links!

Cheers
- Mark