[TriLUG] Notebook pad type mice

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Nov 16 23:03:53 EST 2006

Thanks Alan,

Your post plus that of Ian Kilgore helped me shut off that nasty tap, which
solved a BIG problem for me. Thanks. The synclient program mentioned by Ian
contains a property not mentioned in your email, namely, TouchpadOff. If it's
0, you get full touchpad with (ugh) tapping. If it's 1, you get no touchpad
at all. But if it's 2, you get the touchpad without tapping, which is just
what I want:

Option "TouchpadOff" "2"

Meanwhile, a lot of the options you mention below will be helpful, especially
BottomEdge. The geniuses who designed my computer made no transition between
the pad and the buttons, so when I click one of the buttons, my big fat thumb
hits the pad and knocks the pointer away just before the click registers,
thereby doing the wrong thing (like aborting instead of saving changes :-).

Tomorrow I'll experiment with BottomEdge to see if I can reserve a DMZ between
pad and buttons. Another thing I might experiment with is Fingerhigh, so that
merely touching it with my palm while typing doesn't move the mouse. As U can
tell, my hands are too big and fat to use this computer, but yours and Ian's
input will make it a productive tool for me.

So thanks a million.

SteveT