[TriLUG] Installing cacert Client Cert in Browser

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 25 14:24:20 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

I have a client certificate that I made a while back on my CaCert
account.  It is still valid for several months.

When I view it on the CaCert web page and click on the email address in
the table, I go to the "Installing your Certificate" page.  It has a
prompt that says "Click here to install your certificate."  The "Click
here" words are linked to a PHP script that is supposed to install the
certificate in my browser.

Clicking there does not cause the cert to be installed on my
Linux/Firefox browsers.  I've tried it using Firefox 1.5 on centos 4.4
and ubuntu dapper.  When I look at Preferences->Advanced->View
Certificates afterwards, there are no installed certificates.  I've
looked in each of the tabs - "Your Certificates", "Other People's", "Web
Sites", etc. and no new ones have been added.

Oddly, I was able to install the certificate on Firefox 1.5 on Windows
2000.  I thought it might be related to the security settings, but I
have scripts enabled and cookies enabled on both of the browsers where
it did not work.

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?  Or, is there another way to
install the client certificate into my browser?

Thanks,

Scott C.