[TriLUG] rfc ISP setup

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Sat Nov 25 21:12:58 EST 2006

> Perhaps I'm not putting it all together quite yet, but I don't quite
> understand what you're asking for.  When you say "I'm trying to help an
> ISP get set up", are you attempting to help out the ISP folks setup 5
> different customers on the other end of a T1 they're selling to
> someone?  Or are you trying to help someone who's purchased a T1 and
> wants to divide up the /24 (Class C) given to them by their ISP into 5
> networks at their location?

[Jim Ray pontificates]
T1 comes into Adtran.  They wanted to use 5 of these little D-link gateways
to bust out the networks.  Unfortunately, the D-link "routers" are gateway
routers and not usable for public IPs.  So, I'm looking for the next best
alternative since their first choice failed miserably.

> or one Ethernet and
> one built in T1 interface, but probably not since you mention a
> CSU/DSU), and then a managed switch to break out VLANs from one of the
> Ethernet interfaces on the a-fore-mentioned box.

[Jim Ray pontificates]
Yes, the Adtran is T1 on one side and Ethernet on the other.  I'm not way
way familiar with the Adtran NetVanta 3205 since, with the exception of
Glaxo, EPA and Pharmacia Upjohn, all my customers are small and housed on
one subnet.  Apparently, the Adtran has some kind of security zone feature
used in conjunction with a managed switch.  I'd like to hear from someone
that has made it work.

> Just for the record, this may be true of the
> first scenario as well.

[Jim Ray pontificates]
Bah.  We have Linux.  We have Apache.  We have beer.  We can make it work.

> In short, there's not enough information here.  Please describe in more
> detail what you're asking about (ASCII art might be good), and I'll see
> if I can make sense out of it.
>
> Aaron S. Joyner
[Jim Ray pontificates] Here's a quickie Visio thingie I just posted:
http://www.neuse.net/stuff/T1.htm

Any helpful hints most appreciated.

Regards,

Jim