[TriLUG] Availability of bzip2 in 20 years?

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 15:34:08 EST 2006

John and Rodney both have good points, but if you're seriously going
to dig up the backups in 7 or 10 years, why not only have DVD
snapshots from once every six months (or so) and then throw Very Large
Disks (tm) in an old clunker and point rsync at your important
directories for more frequent backups? Disks aren't so expensive that
replacing them every three years (or so) would pose a tremendous
hardship. You could even get crafty and set up the backup box to do
wake-on-lan:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/net/wakeonlan

So you don't suck power when not doing backups. Also, the output of
smartctl inspires confidence for me in a way that DVDs do not, but
that says more about the way I treat optical media than about backup
strategies. :P

Or you could skip most of the above and pay for some off-site storage
space. Point rsync at somebody else's colo'd server.

So I guess what I'm really saying is that I agree with others that a
backup strategy that involves you not touching the data for 20 years
isn't really a viable strategy. I am not an archivist, but there you
have it.

-CMP