[TriLUG] /etc/mail/aliases headache!

Randy Barlow rpbarlow at electronsweatshop.com
Mon Nov 27 01:14:26 EST 2006

Howdy all!  I'm having a fun mail aliases weirdness, and was wondering
if any of you wise triluggers have any suggestions of what might be
going on.  I'm just now setting up my own mail server on
electronsweatshop.com.  My real username on my mail machine is rpbarlow.
 So, rpbarlow at electronsweatshop.com seems to work just fine!  In the
aliases file, I have two entries that are of interest to this e-mail:

root:  rpbarlow
randy: rpbarlow

So when I send an e-mail to root at electronsweatshop.com, it does indeed
end up in my mail box.  Great!  But when I send an e-mail to
randy at electronsweatshop.com, it disappears into the ether (unless it's
just taking a really long time for some reason...)  Interestingly, if I
send an e-mail to randy at electronsweatshop.com, I see the following in my
logs (booty is the name of my mail machine, because it, well... boots :)):

Nov 27 01:12:01 booty postfix/local[508]: 5FB8D344D2E:
to=<rpbarlow at booty.electronsweatshop.com>,
orig_to=<randy at electronsweatshop.com>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent
(delivered to command: /usr/bin/procmail)

Something very similar ends up in the logs for the successful root@
e-mails, so I really can't decipher what the difference is.  Any ideas?
--
Randy Barlow
http://www.electronsweatshop.com