[TriLUG] Recommendation sought: Linux based smartphone with Java support + good wireless Internet

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Mon Nov 27 02:48:45 EST 2006

Hi all, I'd like to solicit some recommendations for a new phone and
wireless carrier.  I'm a little
behind the times on keeping up with the latest in the world of mobile
devices and phone and
what-not, so hopefully somebody can clue me in on how to find something
suitable.

Basically, what I want is this:

1. a smartphone / pda that uses Linux as the OS
2. and has a JVM for running j2me / midp apps
3. good wireless networking support.  Eg, I want to be able to access
the Internet
from as close to "anywhere" as possible.
4.  Relative to 1, 2 and 3 above, I want something that's as "open" as
possible
in terms of what programs I can run on the device and what features I
can access.
For example, I might want to write a j2me app to run on the phone, make
an Internet
connection to a server and sync the address book on the phone with
some other address book, or something of that nature.

beyond that, a large display, semi-usable (or better) keyboard and nifty
features like bluetooth, etc.
are pluses.

So, does such a beast exist? And if so, where is it and where can I find
one? :-)

Thanks,

Phil

P.S. - apologies for the cross-post to anybody who receives this
twice as a result of being on Tri-LUG and Tri-JUG lists.