[TriLUG] getting a powerbook to act like a monitor

Matt Bidwell bidwell at dead-city.org
Mon Dec 4 13:12:13 EST 2006

Andrew Ball wrote:
> I need to be able to see output for _everything_, including POST,
> installations, and whatever OS is there, even though I'd hope that
> everything just works and I could use VNC or FreeNX.
>
> Peace.
> Andrew
Andrew,
If your powerbook is anything like mine, you do not
have a serial port.  You can however get a usb serial
port.  With some configuration on both ends, you should
be able to use a program like minicom to connect
the USB/Serial connector on the powerbook to a
serial port on the PC and use minicom as a serial
console.  I believe this is what you want.  Serial console
will give you everything that comes up on the PC.
That's the theory at least.  You can probably google
on serial console for futher info.

Matt