[TriLUG] print queues work locally, but not over the network

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Dec 11 00:34:05 EST 2006

Hi all,

My computer has an HP4050 hooked to its parallel port. Most printers in the
house run Mandriva 2006 and access my printer via the network. I upgraded my
computer to Mandriva 2007, and all of a sudden none of the other computers
can print to my printer. It (in all its various configurations such as lp,
lp_dark, lp_duplex etc) shows up on all the other Mandriva machines, but when
you print to it on those printers it "vanishes into thin air". Nothing prints
on my printer, and the lpq -P lp_dark command says nothing's queued on their
computer or on mine. I can't figure out what happened to the print job. The
same print job works perfectly if I sftp the file to my computer and then
print it from my computer.

The cupsd daemon is running on all the computers, and lp_dark (and the others)
show up at http://localhost:631 on all the computers.

This seemed to start when I upgraded my computer from Mandriva 2006 to
Mandriva 2007.

What are some of the steps I'd take to troubleshoot this problem? My wife and
kids have started a fire under a 1000 gallon pot, and I'm scared I'll get
boiled if I don't get the family's printers printing.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm