[TriLUG] LDAP vs AD vs NT domains vs eDirectory vs RHEL directoryserver

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Mon Dec 11 09:02:13 EST 2006

well, if you were intending on staying with a windows machine for some
form of services, i'd highly recommend you migrate nt4 to windows 2003.
the path is fairly easy, and upgrade is minimal (depending on what nt4
services you were running). this would also preserve your clients, and
user names and passwords. if you're really not concerned about this,
then put in a win2k3 domain controller.

if you have any specific questions about nt4 > win2k3, you can contact
me off list if you like (or on list even). i rolled out a large scale
nt4 > win2k3 migration for the government (with 3 remote sites).

user management is definitely a lot easier in win2k3 ad... and ad gives
you quite a few things you can do with your windows clients. i've heard
of people migrating off nt4 and using their linux server as a "domain
controller" so to speak ...but i personally haven't tried it in
production.