[TriLUG] MIDI device help

tomed at bellsouth.net tomed at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 19 13:05:26 EST 2006

I just purchased an M-Audio usb-midi keyboard, Deystation 49e, which
shows up nicely on sequencer port 20:0, and I can bang on the keyboard
and have my banging show up in sequencer programs, and write directly
to midi via the arecordmidi utility:

$ arecordmidi -p 20:0 output.midi

But I can't figure out how to monitor what I'm doing. I can play the
resulting output with timidity, but I'd like to hear the keyboard sound
out like a normal keyboard.

I have a motherboard soundcard, the Ali M5455, which does not have a hard-
ware sequencer.

I've noticed that the kernel has a virtual midi device, which I don't have
enabled.

Any ideas on what's missing?

Many thanks,
Tom Ed