[TriLUG] Distro suggestions

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Dec 19 16:50:17 EST 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 15:01, Jason S. Evans wrote:
>    I'm looking to try out a new Linux distro, and I'm looking for
> suggestions.  I've recently tried OpenSuSE, Ubuntu, Fedora Core, Damn
> Small, and Debian.  So, what should I try next?

Hi Jason,

Assuming you're looking for a desktop/workstation type machine, I've used
Mandrake/Mandriva since 2000. I get frustrated with it every year or so, vow
to switch distros, look at what the rest have to offer, and come right back
to Mandriva. It's got most of the apps I like right on the installation media
so I don't need to apt-get, emerge, urpmi or any of that stuff, for the most
part. When specialized packages are needed, they can usually be procured at
pbone.net. Mandriva does a fair job when you need to ./configure;make;make
install.

Mandriva's not perfect, not by a long shot, but as I said, after every switch
contemplation I've come back to Mandriva.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author:
   * Universal Troubleshooting Process courseware
   * Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
   * Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
   * Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
   * Rapid Learning: Secret Weapon of the Successful Technologist

http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore
http://www.troubleshooters.com/utp/tcourses.htm