[TriLUG] apm gives wierd values for old battery

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Dec 24 00:48:42 EST 2006

I have a new (used) laptop, with a new battery, which I
bought and which does all the right things (about the right
lifetime, apm gives reasonable values for % battery
remaining) and the laptop hibernates fine when the battery
is low.

With the old battery (which came with the laptop and
presumably is well past it's expected lifetime), when apm
show 73% battery left (takes about 30mins to discharge from
full), the laptop hibernates. I would not be surprised if
the battery had only 30mins of life in it, in which case I
would expect it to be showing 5% rather than 73% when the
machine hibernated. If the battery really has 73% charge,
then the operating time on the battery would be about 2hrs,
which is what I'd expect for a new battery (not an old one).

Thus I think it's likely that the battery really is
discharged when it's showing 73% charged.

Is there some way of getting apm and the battery to agree on
the charge left, or is this an old battery and not
neccessarily being truthful?

THanks Joe