[OT] Re: [TriLUG] Will trade Dell Inspiron 4000 notebook for goodbeer

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Mon Dec 25 04:47:29 EST 2006

When I grow up and get rich and famous, I want to upgrade my 5 gal brewing
apparatus to the refrigerated keg ain't gotta bottle it variety.

Oh, nevermind.  We decided to have children.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, /me seeks recipe for a good hefeweissen yet
will do an IPA in a bloody minute.  Here's the recipe for my last batch
named after the creatures in my basement:

Cricket Sh!t Ale 22 Dec 99

The Ingredients for the Wort:

1.65 lb	Wheat Malt Extract (60% wheat, 40% barley)
1 lb	Caramel Malt (Caramunich II) 60 Lovibond 2 row cracked
6.6 lb	Amber Malt Extract 6 row
2 oz	Centennial Hop Pellets Alpha 8.7
2 oz	Perle Hope Pellets Alpha 8.2
12 g	Whitbread Ale Yeast (1.2 g?)
1 cup          Corn Sugar (bottling)

Equipment Needed:
22 qt stainless steel pot
2 qt pot
large strainer
5 gal glass carboy
7 gal food grade plastic pail with top drilled for fermentation lock
fermentation lock
5.5 gal food grade plastic pail with spigot for bottling
hose
bottling valve
power washer
bottle rack
siphon foot
beer

Wash and disinfect all equipment and surfaces.  Boil 12 qt water for wort.
Boil Caramel Malt adjunct grains for 3-5 minutes in 1-2 qt of water and
strain into other pot.  Boil wort for 30 min using hop schedule below.
Strain into 1.5 gal of cold water in 7 gal pail.  Cool to 75 deg F.  Pitch
yeast and close fermentation lock.

Rehydrate yeast by heating 1 cup of water to 100 deg F.  Place yeast in
water.  Let sit for 15 min.  Add yeast slurry to wort.

Hops Schedule (time until end of boil):
Bitterness (30 min): 1 oz Perle
Flavor (15 min): 0.5 oz Perle and 0.5 oz Centennial
Aroma (7 min): 0.5 oz Perle and 0.5 oz Centennial
Aroma (between 1st and 2nd stage ferment): 1 oz Centennial

Data Log:
22 dec 99 7:10 pm - wort finished and cooling off in sink of cold water.
22 dec 99 10:27 pm 118 deg F
22 dec 99 11:17 pm 108 deg F
23 dec 99 12:02 am 101 deg F
23 dec 99 1:04 am 93 deg F
23 dec 99 1:58 am 85 deg F
23 dec 99 2:32 am 85 deg F 1.035 yeast pitched
28 dec 99 8 pm 65 deg F 1.019 transferred to 2nd stage fermentation, added
aroma hops
30 jan 2k 2 pm 16.5 deg C 1.016

Heat corn sugar in 1 cup of water (woops, I used a quart) to dissolve.
Siphon wort from carboy into 5 gal plastic bottling pail with spigot.  Add
dissolved corn sugar.  Bottle.

yield: 26 bottles of 22 oz each

Regards,

Jim

Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Networks
tel: 919-838-1672 cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Behalf Of
> Greg Brown
> Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2006 9:52 PM
> To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list
> Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [TriLUG] Will trade Dell Inspiron 4000 notebook for
> goodbeer
>
> I stll prefer a good 'ol so-hoppy-you-feel-like-you-might-die IPA.
Dogfish