[TriLUG] apm gives wierd values for old battery

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Wed Dec 27 01:55:17 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 16:13 -0800, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> With the old battery, the laptop takes about 30mins to
> get to 73% charge, when the laptop hibernates. I would
> expect if the battery had reduced capacity, that it would
> show say 10% in 30mins.

As I understand it, it's the battery that reports to the system what
it's capacity and charge are.  And when batteries get old they often
times become bad at doing do accurately.  A lot of hibernate scripts
will poll the battery for two things: 1) the battery being below a
certain reported percentage charge and, 2) the battery reporting itself
as being at "critical" state.  I'd bet your battery is doing #2 (check
the logs for the power events...)

Randy Barlow
http://www.electronsweatshop.com
Today is a good day for information-gathering. Read someone else's mail
file.