[TriLUG] OT: In search of PC100 RAM

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Wed Dec 27 23:36:27 EST 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-27 at 00:20 -0500, Mike Seda wrote:
> Low-density PC133 ram should work with most PC100 machines
> Brian McCullough wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 04:11:07PM -0500, Jason Faulkner wrote:
> >
> >> Decent PC133 ram will work in a box that takes PC100, just FYI.
> >
> > Actually, I have run into ( own ) one machine that refuses to operate
> > with PC133, it insists on PC100.

That's the trick: there are two versions of PC133 - a "high density" and
a "low". The low density has the chips on both sides of the module, the
high density has chips on only one side. I've seen "high density" work
in some cases, but show 1/2 it's labeled capacity.

Also beware that mixing speeds won't work or leads to trouble. Most
PC133 memory management chips try to adjust CAS/RAS/etc to get the best
response and will have problems with the PC100 mixed in with PC133.

JKB