[TriLUG] SIP Softphone on Suse and Asterisk

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Thu Dec 28 18:48:03 EST 2006

Trevor Little wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> This is my first time posting to this list. I hope to make it to the next
> meeting.

Most excellent.  The Asterisk talk in here has been far too little of late.

> I have Asterisk running on a P3 centos box at home. When I try to place a call
> to it from my laptop (SUSE 10.1) using Twinkle I don't get any sound.
>
> That's the same thing that it shows when  I call from a windows machine so I'm
> pretty sure that the server is working.
>
> Does anyone have experience withthis kind of problem

I have little experience with SuSE, but my gut feeling is that the
firewall is blocking the traffic.  Try doing a 'service iptables stop'
before you start up your client.  If the call succeeds with iptables
off, we can start looking at what rules you need to add.  If it doesn't,
 we'll have to try another approach.

-- Kevin