[TriLUG] VMware server and RHEL 4.4 issues

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Tue Jan 2 11:10:02 EST 2007

Folks, got a weird one for you:

I have a vmware-server (the free one, not vmware-esx), that is giving me
a weird issue. When I start a VM with RHEL 4.4 x86_64 smp kernel using 2
cpus, the machine takes over 4 1/2 min to boot. With a single cpu with
smp or non-smp kernel, it boots in less than 45 sec.  The VM is crawling
after boot, sometimes ssh from the *host* will timeout trying to
connect. I have shutdown all VM's save one, and still get this
performance decrease.

Just for fun, I loaded RHEL 4.4 i686 into a vm and it appears to be fine.

Here are the specifics:

H/W:
Dual Opteron Dual Core 1.8MHz
4GB RAM