[TriLUG] Wireless woes after upgrade FC3->FC5

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Sun Jan 7 12:44:17 EST 2007

Feh.  Although the migration went pretty well, I didn't
try going wireless since the upgrade until last night --
when I discovered that

a) cardctl has been replaced with pccardctl,
b) pccardctl doesn't have a 'scheme' mechanism, and
c) the auto-detection-and-ifup on insertion of the Cardbus
   card no longer invokes ifrename, at least not in the
   same place.

So my ifcfg-eth2 script failed because it referenced a
no longer existent command, then the new command doesn't
support the same features, and finally because the interface
got named 'eth1' instead of 'eth2' as /etc/iftab should have
made it be.

I'll work around the scheme thing no problem, but the interface
and card-insertion process is such a maze of twisty little
passages that I'm not sure where ifrename is, or should be,
called, or what stuff I need to do to get it triggered if it
*is* called.

I could probably use the HWADDR envariable in ifcfg-eth2 to make
it match -- except 'eth2' is my name for the wireless interface
regardless of which wifi card (of three) is inserted.

Google isn't being much help yet.  Anyone else encountered
this, while I keep looking?

Thanks!
--
#ken	P-)}