[TriLUG] New HP Photosmart - major problems printing

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Jan 11 14:16:34 EST 2007

I have a new HP Photosmart C3180 printer which is driven by the HPIJS
driver using CUPS.  linuxprinting.org lists it as working "perfectly."

The printer is connected via USB to my home computer. There is another
HPIJS-driven printer -- a LaserJet 1200 -- which works fine. Both are also
shared via CUPS to my wife's Windows XP computer.

Both my machine (using the CUPS administration page) and my wife's can
print test pages fine to the C3180. However, printing anything else to it
from my linux machine simply causes it to hang. The paper is fed in, the
printer makes a few noises, and the power light just blinks forever. I can
turn it off and pull the paper out manually, but nothing else happens.
This happens whether I send text, postscript, or jpg data to the printer.
It happens even using the hp-testpage utility that comes with hpijs.

Printing photos from the windows computer works fine, but the printer also
hangs when printing a Word document.

Any thoughts on what to try? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks-
Andy Perrin

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl