[TriLUG] Need help finding bottleneck

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 19:44:08 EST 2007

Hi Roy,

  Can you hit a small file on your server?  I.e. create an HTML file with
just "hi" in it. It may be you're into swap space on your home machine.
'dows/IE are REALLY bad about low mem performance. I was on a project a few
years back where load time went >1 minute from the normal few seconds once
the 'dows box had all of its RAM allocated to processes. Softie fubar'ed the
memory management sometime in the last several releases of their OS and IE
has never been responsible with memory management. Now 'dows performance
literally a joke (unless you're the dolt running two instances of WebLogic
and trying to meet deadlines *-( ). Our setup was all within the same LAN.
Also, haven't mucked wiht IE in a while but it doesn't free RAM for images
if the page is navigated away from before the page completes loading. That
was a while back too. FF worked fine but Opera had the best memory
management where images were concerned. I understand the minimum
requirements for Vista are above what 99.9% of the PC's have. What's worse,
it drops down to lower featured versions without asking the user so you can
be running on Vista cheapo release whereas you purchased Vista big-and-bad
or whatever they are calling their various versions - I also understand they
have 9. And I thought tracking distros was tough!

Best,
TimJowers