[TriLUG] OT: Google datacenter in NC

Reginald Reed reginald.reed at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 09:32:40 EST 2007

I really think this is all about competition.  No matter what the
growth (and TWC does have a LOT of capacity in this area in general),
the thing that will cause the fastest bump in speeds is another
player, like FiOS.  In RR areas that also have FiOS, check out the
speeds that are offered!  Take a look at the following example:

http://tampabay.mybrighthouse.com/products_and_pricing/internet/compare_plans/default.aspx

The *only* reason they offer 15Mb/sec downstream is because of the
legacy GTE, now Verizon FiOS availability.

Unfortunately I think Verizon is too stupid to push FiOS here.  I live
in a brand new neighborhood on the edge of Morrisville/RTP.  We're one
of the few areas in Wake county that doesn't have Bellsouth, we have
Verizon.  Even though its a very nice, new neighborhood, nearly every
home has at least one person working RTP (tech/pharma), they are
sitting on GooGobs of fiber because of the proximity to RTP and we
STILL didn't get FiOS!  Incredibly lame because I think they were
pushing for a complete triple play (voice, internet and video).  They
couldn't provide all 3 services and decided to go voice/DSL instead
over copper.  I called to get new phone service and was quoted a price
so high, I was in shock.  It was more than DOUBLE what I paid
Bellsouth in NW Raleigh before we moved.  So guess what I did?  Triple
play with TWC!  One bill, 3 services.  TWC dropped multiple fibers
into the neighborhood, we have *lots* of capacity.

Its all about competition.

--OldSparcLuva