[TriLUG] Linux Hardware Vendor

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Jan 25 19:01:18 EST 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 16:05:32 -0500 Tarus Balog <tarus at opennms.org>
wrote:

> This machine will mainly be a web/file/mail server out on the
> interweb, and I'm thinking about a 2U with something like 6 disks set
> up RAID 5. The specs are pretty fluid, but prolly 2-4 GB RAM and a
> 64-bit processor or two.
>
> I'm looking at Penguin Linux but want to know if any of you have
> experience (good or bad) with them or other vendors.

I recently bought a small cluster of Sun X2200's connected with
InfiniBand.  Sun assembled and racked it.  We took delivery, plugged it
in, loaded Fedora Core 6 x86_64 plus our bits, and had things working
in a few hours.  It was surprisingly easy.  Even the InfiniBand worked
the first time I tried it.  I'm sure the vast majority of the credit
goes to the Linux kernel developers but at least Sun didn't mess it up
by choosing, say, some cheap/oddball SCSI adapter with less-than-
stellar Linux support (*cough* old Dells *cough*).

The Sun sales folks were helpful and had a good attitude.  And I can't
say anything about the Sun RMA process because, so far, we've haven't
had any hardware failures.

Ed

ps - No, I don't own any SUNW stock.

--