[TriLUG] SANS Security certification

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Sat Jan 27 07:49:48 EST 2007

I took the Security Essentials class last summer, how useful you find it
would depend greatly on your experience.  I have had many years of
experience as a systems admin, engineer, etc.  I found the class a
complete waste of time.  However, if you don't have loads of experience,
and are trying to break ground with HR filters etc, then it may do you well.

When test time came, a few weeks after class, I was even more annoyed.
I don't see the value in seeing if I can memorize, or look up the
parameters that you pass to NMAP.  If the questions were more oriented
towards, "Under what circumstances would you use NMAP, and what kind of
output would you expect to get?", then I would see the value.  Hopefully
we all know about man or /?, mailing lists, etc.

Kevin