[TriLUG] Another seal broken... thinking of installing a C/R anti-spam system

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 27 11:26:44 EST 2007

Yes, another seal standing between man and the end of the world is
breaking.  I am looking at installing a Challenge/Response system for
some of my company's email addresses.

We already do various filtering, etc... but the volume of spam still
leaking through is about 40/day (about 20% - we are heavily weighted
towards no false negatives), and we only see about 3 real emails a week
for these addresses.

The legit folks who send email to these addresses are generally low-tech
folks (definitely no geeks). So I don't think a C/R system would offend
them in any way.  Also, I'm thinking of disquising the C/R system as a
web-based request for more info on the mail they sent in.

The auto-reponse email would have a copy of the original mail/header and
would link back to a web form that puts their original email into the
form and askes them to click some buttons to direct the request to the
proper department :-), plus fill in the proper contact info.

Of course if they are already in our system, they don't get the C/R
notice. The mail just comes through.

Jon