[TriLUG] Another seal broken... thinking of installing a C/R anti-spam system

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 15:53:43 EST 2007

Why not use CSS to have an email field on a web form that _people_
can't see but bots can. If you get mail from that form with the email
filled in, you know you have a bot and can discard it. Can't remember
where I saw this idea, otherwise I'd link to it.

Might work as a stop-gap.

-CMP

On 1/27/07, jonc at nc.rr.com <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Yep. I read that while doing my research on Challenge/Response systems.
> The basic arguement against doing a C/R response is that you respond to
> the forged From and thus add to the problem of spam. Thus my comment on
> one of the seals of doom being broken... :-)
>
> The problem here, is that we have to work with a broken environment for
> smtp that folks refuse to  help fix. I hate to do C/R, but it would
> solve *our* particular problem.
>
> We need for all SMTP to be authenticated and only accepted from the
> authoritative source of that domain. That would effectively cripple
> Spammers. It's not like we allow folks to POP email as a user without
> using a password! Why should we let people drop off email without the
> same protection. Alas, that would mean that folks who make email clients
> would have to adapt them to using auth-smtp. Something so logical seems
> to be beyond the capabilities of Microsoft.
>
> Jon

Cristóbal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student -- ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
TriLUG Vice Chair
"There are many roads to enlightenment, and thus many roads back to
the One True Debian" --crimsun