[TriLUG] Another seal broken... thinking of installing a C/R anti-spam system

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Sat Jan 27 22:41:04 EST 2007

Dave Sorenson wrote:
> I've recently implemented Grey listing and I'm totally impressed. I'm
> dropping 300+ messages a day that don't try back after being told to try
> back in 30 seconds. The very few that do get through Spamassassin swats.
> I have my inbox back!

How many of those dropped emails are originating from GMail? Yahoo?

This is something I noticed right off with greylisting is that some of
the really big free mailbox providers were "broken" by greylisting.
Whitelisting those domains got around the problem, but how many legit
senders might I be missing?

For greylisting to work effectively, I think the MTA's would need to set
an affinity between an outbound mail in the queue and a member of its
outbound SMTP server farm.  Otherwise, a recipient MTA with greylisting
enabled might perpetually delay delivery.  I don't really see the big
guys chomping at the bit to do this.