[TriLUG] Another seal broken... thinking of installing a C/R anti-spam system

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 18:45:27 EST 2007

On 1/28/07, Jason Faulkner <jason at oldos.org> wrote:
> Problem: EMail sending vendors (like, say, IntelliContact).
>
> Your solution doesn't allow for third-party branded sending. How'd you
> suggest someone like us, who might send for a large company, handle
> the problem? Most customers won't be happy with having an
> @intellicontact from name on their email.

I propose that in TriLUG-SMTP we fix that in DNS. The company that
wants to work with you would authorize you as a sender in their DNS.
Somebody else will have to figure out the details of how that would
work. :)

Your immediate objection is going to be that that is very
inconvenient, since non-tech-savvy people are going to need a lot of
hand-holding to add you to their DNS. I'll concede that that is the
case right now, but if we manage to implement an incredibly
spam-unfriendly TriLUG-SMTP, you'll also have the added benefit of
being VERY easy to differentiate from spam. Currently companies like
yours have to tread very carefully in some ways to avoid getting a bad
label, but in our system, the _system_ would bear that burden, not you
(assuming you adhere to the proposed spec). Beyond that, you could
alter your pricing scheme to account for the extra labor of having to
deal with their DNS provider.

BTW... it occurs to me that this would make a fantastic meeting topic.
If any (or a group!) of you would like to synthesize all of this into
a presentation at some point, I get the feeling you'd have a big,
enthusiastic audience.

Cheers,
CMP

--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student -- ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer