[TriLUG] Another seal broken... thinking of installing a C/R anti-spam system

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Jan 29 10:07:10 EST 2007

> Unfortunately, the only way to address spam is to make it unprofitable:

I have been wondering whether we're spending too much effort on the
delivery side of the equation, and not enough time on the
money-changing-hands part of the equation.

For example, if I had a 'bot that replied to every spam message that it
got, filling in phishing web forms with bogus names, SSN's, credit card
numbers, etc; then maybe it would cost the spammers more in terms of
time to filter through the junk in order to get the real suckers' info.

Basically, by drowning them in noise, we'd be giving them a taste of
their own medicine.

Another example I recall that raises the price of spam is the case where
someone published a spammer's home address on the internet, and suddenly
the guy was being harassed from every angle.

Alan

.