[TriLUG] Another seal not yet broken... using Greylisting

Douglas Ward binaryflow at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 10:15:46 EST 2007

I implemented greylist.pl in my environment (~25k messages per day) and
found it to not work well.  Many of the large isp's have multiple outgoing
e-mail servers which results in the following scenario:

Server 1 attempts to deliver from somebody at test.com and is greylisted.
After defined pause Server 2 attempts to deliver from somebody at test.com and
is greylisted again.
After another defined pause Server 3 attempts to deliver from
somebody at test.com and is greylisted again.

I imagine this is three entries in the database file for future messages.
The end user's message never delivers and they freak out.  I know the answer
is to probably whitelist these domains but I didn't have the time to keep up
with it.

Another issue that I ran across was even though I had set the greylist to
accept after 30 seconds the sending server would wait much longer to try
again (sometimes a half day or more).

Do you see this behavior on your side?  I would love to turn the rule back
on but it caused too many interruptions.  YMMV though.  Thanks!