[TriLUG] Email issues

Brad Jorsch anomie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 2 17:00:13 EST 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 03:00:44PM -0500, S B wrote:

> I forgot to mention earlier that I was also trying to establish a HTTP
> connection between the 2 hosts (using PHP cURL), and that too timed-out, so
> I think it's more general than just SMTP connections but only applies to
> certain (few) combinations of hosts.

Have you checked your firewalls? A tcpdump might also tell you if the
packets are getting to the right host.

It could also be someone somewhere trying to be "helpful" with a
firewall on a router. Maybe someone in there is still having trouble
with ECN or something, or i've had trouble in the past once or twice
when dialup woud give me an address ending in .255.

tcptraceroute might be able to help you detect a broken hop in there
somewhere.