[TriLUG] LaTeX revisited

tomed at bellsouth.net tomed at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 8 12:14:37 EST 2007

So far, the utilities I've seen for conversion from MS to LaTeX attempt to
preserve the literal formatting of the source doc, which kind of defeats
the purpose of LaTeX, where you let it take care of the visual stuff.
With literal source doc formatting preserved, you end up with a lot
of LaTeX spaghetti that's hard to edit.

It would be nice to find a conversion tool that simply writes structural
LaTeX. The closest thing I've found so far is catdoc. Marking up catdoc
is easier for me than dealing with all the stuff that wvLatex or writer2latex
produces.