[TriLUG] Need to compare pw's

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 11:28:31 EST 2007

if they're using the same salt, it's a cinch - strait up string comparison

if it's different, I don't know

WMM

On 2/12/07, Roy Vestal <rvestal at trilug.org> wrote:

> Folks,
>   I need to compare passwords among differing *nix boxes. I need to
> verify the different hashes on the boxes and determine if they are the
> same or different. *I do NOT need to crack them!!*
>
> Does anyone know a simple procedure on comparing 2 passwords using the
> hashes? I can sed/grep/awk whatever to get the hashes out of the
> password files (names will *not* be given here for security purposes),
> but I'm not sure is a simple "if [ $a ne $b ] then..." will work.
>
> TIA,
> Roy

http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on
with the prime numbers." --Paul Erdős
"It's not possible. We are the type of people who have everything in our
favor going against us." --Ben Jarhvi, Short Circuit 2