[TriLUG] [OT] HP briefing center

jbrigman at nc.rr.com jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Mon Feb 12 15:22:59 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
> The thing that you refer to as "Service Processor" must be an
> IBMism, HP
> calls it something different, in older servers it was an expensive
> option.Now it's built in to every server, licensing it for
> enhanced mode is a
> $200 markup with volume discounts.
>
> It seems that we all tend to like that which we are most familiar....

For the HP PA-RISC architectures, this processor was known as
the "GSP": General Service Processor. (The prompt when accessing it
is "GSP>".) It's been that way for as long as there's been
multiprocessor HP-9000 PA-RISC architectures. I have not used an
Itanium-based HP-UX product but I expect the component is still known
as the GSP.

JKB