[TriLUG] [OT] HP briefing center

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Feb 12 16:17:17 EST 2007

Here's how the IBM licensing works (unless they changed it since Nov 2006)

Every IBM product comes with a license to run either the server or
client for IBM Director (servers ARE clients to themselves so both are
not needed on the same machine).

Reguardless of which brand hardware/OS you have, you can purchase a
license for non-IBM machines.

I setup a cluster of 3 racks of 6 blade chassis with 12 blades per
chassis, in addition to the customers 4 racks of Dell and HP
blades/pizza boxes.
They bought one IBM pizza box to run IBM Director. We were able run the
IBM Director client on each non-IBM box and show the full hardware,
right down to the MFG part numbers using Director.

Director does firmware, BIOS, ASM/GSM (whatever you managment processor
is called), OS cloning, installation, package management, custom
installations, smnp managment, etc. Closest thing I've seen to it is
Altaire.

Oh, it can INTEGRATE OpenView, Tivoli, OpenManage, etc into it's GUI and
content for one-stop-shop management.

The communication between client and server can be encrypted using DES
or Triple DES if you so choose.

So many features, so little screen....

BTW, I don't get paid to talk about Director....anymore...

YMMV,
Roy
IBM Certified
HP Certified