[TriLUG] Raleigh area online magazine using open source editing

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Tue Feb 13 15:38:23 EST 2007

Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> Can anybody point me to a good index/aggregator of local bloggers who
> blog about local stuff?

The problem you will run into with an aggregator is that most local
bloggers who blog about local stuff will also blog about things that
don't necessarily have anything to do with the local area.  You really
get into an issue where it would be better, IMO, to have a site
dedicated to original articles about the local area.  Bloggers could
certainly cross-post their local content but unless they had an RSS feed
for content tagged as being locally relevant, it would be awfully hard
to have a useful aggregator with such a limited scope.

I'm playing around with a few different things now but for my Planet
Trilug feed, I have a blog that is use distinctly for my geek/tech
interests and nothing else.  I'm thinking it could possibly be better to
have just one blog, and have Planet Trilug pick up just the entries
tagged as "geek".  Just a thought.

I, too, am struggling with how wikia intends to make a magazine out of a
wiki but the maintainers seem very responsive and are tuning/tweaking
things all the time.