[TriLUG] A good PCMCIA wireless card for Redhat linux....

dsandif dsandif at email.unc.edu
Wed Feb 14 15:53:43 EST 2007

Hi all,

I've been battling with Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 trying to get a Cisco
Aironet 350 and a Cisco Aironet 802.11a/b/g wireless adapter to work on
it. After much reading and fighting, it sounds like the latter card is
still fairly too new for RHEL 4 not to mention that Cisco only has
drivers for windows for it so I pulled it and popped in the 350. Tried
to follow the directions based on what Cisco says to:

dohttp://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/350cards/linux/instlcfg/icglchp3.htm#wp1041126

But to no avail. The sh ./cwinstall script they made wouldn't run even
after making sure it was in the proper directory, so I did a ./install
instead and got a couple of dependences, got them installed, re-ran
./install and got more errors than I could begin to wrap my brain
around. Went and checked /vary/log/messages for any error messages or
notes and couldn't make any sense of it other that the fact that the
card wasn't working. Setting up wireless in Linux isn’t easy to begin
with and setting up wireless on Redhat is even worse. It could just be
my frustration talking here but
after battling with this for three days, I’ve just about had it. I
calmed down a bit enough to got do a check for hardware compatibility of
wireless cards and even though it was from 2004, I didn't see either
of my cards on the list which makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time
with Cisco. Looked at ndswrapper and still considering it. Are there
better PCMCIA wireless nics out there that won't drive you to near
insanity trying to set them up? I am actively searching the web as I
send this message so I know I'll get dozens of hits on this, but I did
want to see what the Linux community has to say about this, thxs.

D-