[TriLUG] Positions with Google in NC

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Feb 20 00:03:46 EST 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007, Alan Porter wrote:

> > ...at the level somebody with a PhD in Electrical Engineering
> > should get.
>
> Ah, so Home Depot is hiring again? [1]
>
> [1] Not slamming on your room-mate in particular, but it's sad how
> hard the EE market is these days.  I do know at least one working
> at Home Depot, and a few others who are out of work completely.

On an oddly related note, about 5 years ago I applied for a job at Home
Depot when I wanted a part-time, evening/weekend job, and the grocery
store I had been working at shut down.  I asked to work in the electrical
department, because I have some electronics experience and am in general
interested in electricity, so I thought it would be a fun area to work.
While they offered me a job as a cashier, they turned down my request to
work in Electrical, because I had no practical work experience there.
Apparently they had enough qualified electricians (and EEs?) applying,
that they didn't need someone with only sales/cashiering experience :-)

I ended up working at a different grocery store as a bookkeeper and
service desk clerk instead, which was actually quite instructive in
learning how a large retail business operates - there are many things you
can only learn from the inside.  Also, I got to catch shoplifters from
time to time which was a lot of fun :-)

--Jeremy